Saturday, July 24, 2010

Made it to Leatherneck

I am at Camp Leatherneck and it is a very interesting place. After I left Kuwait I stopped in Kandahar for a day and then over to Camp Leatherneck. I got to fly on both a C-17 and a C-160 which was slightly terrifying. Both planes are cargo planes but they have makeshift seating for passengers. The problem is that you are literally shoulder to shoulder with everyone, wearing body armor and helmets and the seats shift two inches to the front and back depending on how the plane is moving.

Needless to say we didn’t have the amenities that a regular plane would have. The temperature in the plane changed depending on how high in the air we were and there was at least 15 to 25 feet of empty space above us (depending on the plane). We finally arrived at Camp Bastion (the British base right next to Leatherneck) at 1:00 am. After stopping at midnight chow, we finally made it to our tent.

On the way out of Kandahar I got to experience a rocket attack on the base and our overwhelming response to it. I am pretty confident we used more muscle than we needed to but I am sure the insurgents did not make it.

Leatherneck is not bad at all. Before I got here I heard a lot about how bad it would be but it has shown to be the exact opposite. I live in a tent, work in a tent, use porta potties and have to take a Navy shower (get wet, turn off water, soap up, turn on water and rinse, turn off and get out). It is unique that I have zero control on temperature or water pressure but that is all part of the experience.

The AC here is phenomenal. While I am in my office or in my tent I actually get cold. The Marines here are amazing. They are so accommodating and I have a ton of fun with them. I definitely hear more profanity than I ever have and for once I am not the primary cause of it. My mouth is actually pretty clean compared to some of the things that I have heard. Even though Marines get a bad reputation because they can do some pretty dumb things, the vast majority are extremely intelligent. I have had a boatload of intellectual conversations. Yeah, I was shocked too.

I have apparently impressed the Marines enough that they are getting me some of the Marine clothes that are part of their uniform. I won’t get their uniform but the little things like socks, undershirts, belts and things of that nature. According to the guy that I am working with from my agency, that is a very good sign. There is a lot of laughter during the day but we get things done.

I found out that it is inappropriate to address those in the enlisted ranks as sir or ma'am. Apparently that is reserve just for the officers so I have had to take a crash course in the Marine rank insignia. I am pretty darn proficient now.

The only bad thing about Leatherneck (and I have been told that this is true of all bases over here) there are a lot of third country nationals (TCNs). These are individuals who are not Afghani or American and they have come here to work. That is not the bad part. The bad part is what they do in porta potties. Basically is a custom for a lot of Muslims to do all of their business standing up….and their aim sucks. So you have to be very selective as to which one you use.

The days have been long but they have gone by quickly. I have seen a variety of things here that I never thought I would. I have a ton of pictures and as soon as my Wi-Fi is up I will upload them.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen what you do to a full fledged bathroom after a night of heavy drinking. So no complaining about TCN's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least they don't do their business on your sidewalk leading up to your home...(blushing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Marines leared there bad language from the Navy, and I don't think I've ever taken one of those "navy showers"... a "bird bath" maybe... and a few "salt water" baths... but yea.. never a "Navy shower"... I think that might be more of a "Red Neck" thing...

    ReplyDelete